Monday, January 18, 2010

Hodgepodge

Things in my apartment keep breaking (or keep getting broken by me).


Exhibit 1

This shower curtain rod fell once in November. Then again in early December. Then again and again until the moment I would reposition it, it would collapse. I decided to document one of these moments. My landlord got a new shower curtain rod but because it doesn't seem very stable, either, I've stopped hanging my towel over it.

The second broken thing was much dearer to my heart. It was a lovely "Parisian Scenes" tea kettle that Mom gave me many years ago -- maybe in college? A long story is attached to the reason for the demise of the tea kettle, but I'll summarize by saying that I let all the water steam out of it and it stuck - melted - to the burner. I should really have snapped a photo of the aftermath, which included jagged, pale green melted material spiking up off the element. So, the kettle is ruined, grâce à moi.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to present to you a photo of a package from Raul:


Package from R.B. Moreno

What's that? You say you didn't realize he'd already left for Krygyzstan? Oh no, he hasn't. This lovely parcel was sent from Washington state. I'm surprised it successfully arrived. I'm doubly surprised that the USPS accepted it in this condition. My favorite part, I think, is that poor little stamp that has almost curled itself off the package entirely.

Coming soon . . . round 2 of pictures from my vacation in Washington.

1 comment:

  1. Testament to the fine staff at the Ridgefield, WA PO! Lady at the counter, as I left: "you look so much like your mom."

    ReplyDelete